Friday, January 29, 2010

Mobile's Lunch Stop


On our way from Tallahassee we stopped in Mobile, AL for lunch. This stop came highly recommended from Aunt Pam as one of the best oyster po-boys and a real local's joint. I should back up a second and say the real reason I am posting is so that Billy can gloat about his second "star" sighting. Upon arrival at Wintzell's we notice lots of large football player looking men in the restaurant. It turns out that Mobile is hosting Senior Day which is the time when NFL scouts examine prospective prospects from college. It is at Senior Day that they see players run their 40 yd dash, catch, pass, and do whatever it is men do to impress other men. Anyway, we were seated in a back room of the restaurant with multiple recruiting teams. The Atlanta Falcons, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins, and an unknown (they had their badges turned around). Sitting at the table next to us was none other than Pete Carroll, the new Seattle Seahawk coach and previous coach of USC. He was the only coach at the restaurant that Billy recognized since scouting isn't typically something a head coach does, at least according to Billy. Billy played it cool, we enjoyed a fantastic lunch, and left with our second sighting.

My only question was when do I get to see someone I recognize as famous??? The last time I was excited about something it was the NPR Story Corp trailer in San Antonio and half the people I told had no clue what it was. Maybe along the way I will see a politician (and not my mom) or a quilter.

No comments:

Post a Comment