Monday, January 18, 2010

Virginia Beach & Norfolk

My mom's high school friend Genie was kind enough to open her house to us in Virginia Beach for three days. Unfortunately no stories were told about my mom, her high school adventures, or any crazy stories but I think they were coercing behind my back to "not remember" anything. It was a nice treat to stay at a home, and not a hotel, and Genie was an incredible host.

Since my mother grew up in the military this is one of the few places she would consider a "home town".

We started off the morning visiting Rowena's, a pound cake and jelly factory in Norfolk. We found this tour on www.factorytoursusa.com. It all started in one woman's kitchen and grew into a business that now ships all over the world.




For lunch Billy and I visited the famous Doumar's where Albert Doumar has been making cones for 69 years. He makes the cones on a machine dating back to 1905. Unfortunately we missed the cone making that morning but Albert was there taking of his customers just like he has been since the 1930's. The ice cream is handmade and the cones are the best I have ever had, thin and crispy.





That evening Genie and Jerry drove Billy and I to St.George's Brewery. The brewery's founder gave us a tour of their small operation and an incredible history lesson on how beer has shaped the world as we know it.


That evening Genie, Jerry, Billy and I stepped back into mom's memory lane. Genie took us on base to see where they used to live, entertain soldiers, and bowl. After our base tour we took us to see Princess Anne High School where they graduated.

No comments:

Post a Comment