Sunday, February 21, 2010

California Travels

Billy and I have been relaxing in California for the past week. We spent two days at my sister's in Atascadero and then have been spending the past four days in San Jose.

My niece Lindsey just had a daughter, Lily Rose, in December. While in Atascadero Billy and I met Lily and spent two days with her and her mom.

Before leaving Atascadero we each explored our hobbies.

Billy received a personal tour of Firestone Walker Brewery in Paso Robles. Firestone was started by a descendant of the Firestone family and is still family owned. The woman who gave us the tour was the most knowledgeable female I had ever met when it comes to beer. Because it wasn't their typical Saturday tour she walked us right next to the brew kettles and bottling line. When we walked by the bottling line one of the assistant brewmasters pulled two bottles off the line for Billy to drink.


My jaunt was to Birch Fabrics in Paso Robles. Birch is the brick and mortar store of www.fabricworm.com. This is one of my favorite sites for fabric and their store didn't disappoint. They are getting ready to move to a new store in a more visible area of Paso Robles so I can't wait until I return to my sister's in June or July for another trip to my fabric shop.

We left a couple of days early to be able to watch my other great-niece Fiona in San Jose. Fiona was sick so while here mom and dad were at work Billy and I played dutiful babysitters.

On Saturday we visited Santa Cruz and hung out on the beach. When the sun was out it was warm but once the wind picked up and the sun went behind the clouds we packed it in for the day. Darcy, my niece, had a coworker and her two kids and dog visit us at the beach and they were loads of fun.

My niece Darcy and great-niece Fiona.


This is how Fiona and I spend our mornings.

This is a photo of Kyle and Billy instructing Fiona on how to play Wii.

Besides visits to REI, Trader Joe's, and Cost Plus, Billy and I have just spent time hanging out with Darcy, Kyle, and Fiona.

Tomorrow we leave for Murphys where we will begin to unpack and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment